There are a number of common household items that are toxic to your furry friend. Our team at Grantline Veterinary Hospital put together a list of items you probably have sitting around your home that could prove to be fatal for your pet.
- Drugs. Have a headache? Pop a Tylenol. But, if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication, including aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen, you could be facing a serious pet health emergency. Other human medicines to keep away from pets include cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins, diet pills, and drugs that fight cancer.
- Strings. We don’t like when strings are attached, but your pet will dislike it even more, because stringy items, including yarn, rubber bands, dental floss, and the like can be easily swallowed by your pet, causing intestinal blockages or even strangulation, both of which can be fatal.
- Repellents. Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest, but even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us which flea and tick products are best for your pets.
There are many household and garden items that are dangerous for your pets. Also watch for poisonous plants, toys with small parts, rawhide chews, human foods (chocolate, artificial sweeteners, chicken bones, alcohol, onions, and grapes, just to name a few), and holiday décor.